Submit your abstract for the Annual IES Annual Conference.
INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
(as directed by the Irish Journal of Medical Science)
- Abstracts must be typed in WORD FORMAT ONLY using single spacing of 12-point font size (ARIAL FONT ONLY). FAILURE TO SUBMIT IN THIS FORMAT MAY MEAN YOUR ABSTRACT IS REJECTED.
- The text of an abstract (excluding title, authors, references) must not exceed 250 words FIGURES are not allowed. A single table is allowed maximum 5 rows x 5 columns, but will be taken to represent 100 words of the abstract. The words in the table legend will be added to the 100 words for the table. Abstracts must fit on a single A4 sheet. ABSTRACTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS MAY BE REJECTED.
- The author’s initials only and surname, without degree etc., should appear below title. It is necessary to identify institution of authors where more than one institution is involved. Use numbered superscript after authors and co-authors names.
- The address (Department, Institution, Town) should be listed next.
- The text of the abstract must include data with clear description of results and conclusions. Headings within the text are not allowed. Capital letters are not to be used to describe special terms, procedures etc., and may only be used where appropriate (at the start of sentences, where proper nouns are involved, with abbreviations). All abbreviations must be clearly defined. Do not leave gaps or extra spaces within the text of the abstract. Statistical methods must be clearly indicted. A single reference may be used, only when deemed essential for understanding the abstract, in the Vancouver style. The words in the reference contribute to the word count. References should be submitted in the following format if referencing a paper: Allen JM, Keenan AK, McHale NG. Lymphatic function in cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 1999; 123: 10-14 or if referencing a textbook: Davis GK, Mertt O.Transition metals in nutrition. In: Trace elements in nutrition (4th edition). Ed O Mertt. Academic Press, San Diego 1998; 123-123.
- Abstracts are submitted on the understanding that they will be subject to editorial approval and submission does not guarantee publication. The senior author will be responsible for content and for assuring that all authors are in agreement with data submission. The senior author will also be held responsible if an accepted paper is not presented. Failure to present may lead to all authors being barred from making submissions for two years.
- The deadline for abstract submission will be announced each year. The receipt of all abstracts will be acknowledged. If no receipt is received, please contact the Society for clarification at [email protected].
- At the end please indicate if you have a preference for poster or oral presentation. Also, please indicate if you are eligible for the O’Donovan or the Montgomery Medals (awarded for the best oral or poster presentations respectively by a non-consultant doctor or equivalent basic grade scientist). Please also state if presenting author is a medical student.
- A new, separate section for case reports and case series of up to three patients has been included. Please indicate if you wish your abstract to be included for consideration in this category. A prize for the 2 best clinical case posters will be awarded at the meeting. The prize consists of a 250 euro cheque and the opportunity to present the clinical case as an oral presentation at the Annual IES study day
INSTRUCTIONS TO PRESENTERS AT THE ANNUAL IES AGM
- If your abstract is awarded an ORAL PRESENTATION then the 1stauthor will be asked to deliver an oral presentation at the Annual AGM of the IES. The oral presentation is a 10 minute oral presentation outlining the reason and aims of the research/audit, presenting the results and conclusion of the outcomes. The presenter will then be asked questions from the audience for 5 minutes.The time of the ORAL PRESENTATION will be in the IES AGM abstract book. The abstract book should be on the Irish Endocrine Society website 4 weeks before the meeting or enquires can be made to the following email [email protected]
- If your abstract is awarded a POSTER PRESENTATION then you will be asked to have your poster up and ready for review by 12 MIDDAY on the Friday of the meeting and leave in situ till the end of the meeting on Saturday at 1.15pm. Poster boards will be at the meeting and are A0 portrait format. Please bring your own velcro with you to stick your poster onto the poster board. Posters deemed suitable for entry into the competition for the Montgomery medal or for the best clinical case competition will be reviewed by the judges during the poster viewing sessions and so authors are requested to stand by their poster at these times.
The senior author will be held responsible if an accepted paper is not presented. Failure to present may lead to all authors being barred from making submissions to the IES research meeting for two years.
Secretary/Treasurer – James Gibney